STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
I try to cook healthily. Honestly I do. But there are just times when the butter-cream-sugar demon sinks its claws into me and I let loose on the pasta or steak. So when I find a recipe that is very healthy, but tastes like it’s not, I snap my fingers at that monster and exclaim, ”Not today, calorie demon….not today!”
One such recipe is my Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. Do not make that face ….they’re so good that my picky eater last child says, “Yay, cabbage rolls!” Can I get a finger snap, please!
So for all you cooks who are haunted by that same demon, here goes…
STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
· *Cook 1 cup of brown rice.
· *Mix 1 pack of lean beef mince and 1 pack of pork mince. (You can use all beef, but I add the pork mince as it adds flavour and moisture to the dish). Season the mince with ½ tsp seasoning salt, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp dried pepper flakes, ½ tsp nutmeg and 4 minced cloves of garlic. Set aside to marinate.
· *Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
· *Remove core from the center of a large head of cabbage and place the whole head in the boiling water for 20 minutes.
· *Remove the cabbage and place in a bowl of cold water. Gently remove the leaves and lay flat on a dish to cool.
· *If the middle of the cabbage is still tough, add again to the boiling water for 5 more minutes.
· *Repeat with cold water bath, removing the rest of the leaves.
· *Heat 1 tsp olive oil in frying pan. Add 1 sml diced onion and soften in heated oil.
· *Add the mince to softened onion and brown, breaking up lumps with the spatula.
· * Remove the cooked mince from heat and allow to cool. Add 1 beaten egg and mix well. Add juice from 1 lime, the cooked brown rice and 1 tsp cinnamon powder. Mix thoroughly.
· *Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
· * Open each cabbage leaf and place 2 tbsp of the mince mixture in the center. Wrap the leaf firmly around the stuffing, tucking the ends inward.
· *Place each roll seam side down in the baking dish.
*While the sauce is being made, heat oven to 300F.
*In a bowl, mix together 1 can tomato paste with 4 tbsp lime juice, 1 tsp cinnamon powder, ½ tsp nutmeg,1 tbsp onion powder, ½ tsp salt, ½ cup chicken broth, 4 sliced large basil leaves and ¼ cup honey.
· *Pour sauce over the cabbage rolls.
· *Place the baking dish in heated oven and bake for 45 minutes.
ENJOY WITH A LARGE GLASS OF CRISP WHITE WINE!!! (Yeah, yeah, yeah….we can’t be too healthy)